Sunday, September 7, 2008

Wika Down Under! Melbourne

So ... as most know I am currently away from my family which is brutal hard. This is especially true since it will be for the longest trip away from my family ... 2 weeks!


BUT ... I AM down under in Australia so I wanted to see what I could ... this would have been AMAZING with Aly and Emma so we will absolutely be returning at some point!



I spent my 1st week in Melbourne. Its an interesting city but we got to see most of the sites within a day. Our hotel was in a great location. The highlight of this city was we got to watch a game of "footy". Australian "football" is a mix of ... soccer, basketball, rugby, and football all rolled into one!



This is me with the Melbourne skyline in the background. The building to the left of me is a huge railway station which was kinda cool. Just outside of this picture on the other side of the bridge was a really neat open air market full of art stuff. I got Emma a present from there :).



This is me going to the big game! It was St Kilba Saints vs the Essendon Bombers! (St Kilba KILLED them).

This is part of the game ... played in a circular field. On the far end of the field you can see 4 posts. If you scored through the middle two it was worth 6 points and you started again in the middle of the field. If you scored through the other goals to the sides it was 1 point and the team had to start from their end of the field. It's actually a very fast paced game and was a lot of fun to watch if the other team would have been better.

The only other thing to note here was rather than the typical hot dog they sell "meat" pies. I say "meat" in quotes since I am not sure there was actually meat in it and it was hardly edible!

0 comments: