Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Festival of Nativities

So last week was a busy one. With Wika in Singapore I was all on my own...which any other week would be totally fine, last week-not such a good one for him to be gone. I am on the Stake Activities committee, and every year we have this Festival.

It is an AMAZING event. It takes A LOT of work and preparation...I pretty much lived at the church starting on Saturday November 22nd. (ok, I didn't live there as much as Shelley and Niki, but it felt like I was there quite a bit)So, because I was at the church all day, Emma's schedule was OUT THE WINDOW. Considering everything that went on, she was amazing! I really can't complain.

Anyway, we completely transform the church gym into what we like to call a "Winter Wonderland" The event is all about Nativities from all around the world. With Vancouver being such a diverse city, we are able to get SO many different Nativities.

It is so amazing to see how different cultures portray the Nativity story. We have wonderful members, and friends of members willing to donate their nativities for the event! We also do charity lunches/dinners for different groups within the community, where every ward partakes in feeding and serving the different groups. And then to top it all off, we had an INCREDIBLE musical presentation in the evening.

This years production was called "The Nativity...Those Who Were There". Half the songs were written and composed by Shelley Murley (the woman in charge of this WHOLE event) and words cannot describe just how AMAZING this show was. It was beautifully done! It was SO awesome...I wish you could have been there!

It was a LONG but FANTASTIC week! It was possibly the best way to bring in this wonderful Holiday season!!

*and we were SUPER excited for the return of Daddy...I was SO exhausted and sick (got a cold during all this) and was just so grateful for the extra help!!

SO this is a slide show of the event! I hope you enjoy it. (the pictures DON'T even do the event justice, but it's the best I can do)

3 comments:

Linds Forrest said...

Wow that looks amazing Aly!! After reading your post I said to myself "I wish I could have gone!". Love you tons!! And I hope you are feeling better.

Bartlett Family said...

We're in charge of our ward Christmas Party this Saturday. Looking at these pictures tells me that even though it's a lot of work, it's so worth it. It looks awesome. I hope ours turns out somewhat as well as this did. We love you and you miss you all tons. Especially during this time of year. We're always thinking about you guys.

chrissy said...

Wow, that looks so good! Ours is nothing that extravagant. Next year I'm coming to yours.