Saturday, November 12, 2011

Introducing...

SOPHIE NICOLE GORDON-SMITH
Born: November 5th 2011 @ 6:45 PM
Weight 8 lbs. 13 oz.
Length: 20.5 inches
Head: 36.5 cm



Sophie FINALLY made an entrance into the world last Saturday! It was a "forced" entrance, but she is here and that is all that matters!

We went to the hospital at 8 AM Saturday November 5th (I am now 10 days overdue) to be induced. Because I was a VBAC, I had to be constantly monitored. There was a nurse in my room at ALL times ... that also meant they COULD NOT send me home to labour. That made me VERY happy! They started of with the non-stress test to monitor the babies heart rate for a while ... she was very comfy in there. Then around 10:00 they started the oxytocin IV. By 11:30/12 the contractions started. And by 1:30/2 I couldn't handle the contractions anymore. I started begging (literally) for an epidural. They thought it was still too early?? Who cares right ... I wanted it, so give it to me!! They told me all they could give me was morphine with gravol ... LAME!! Didn't work, not even a little bit. FINALLY my wonderful nurse called for the anesthesiologist, who wasn't at the hospital?? Apparently they are "on call" so I then had to be even more patient while waiting for my HERO to arrive. However, I wasn't. I just kept asking and asking "where is he." The contractions at this point were unbearable, to me, and I was in tears. They were about 3 min apart, and I was only dialated to a 4! Finally he got there!! And let me tell you ... pure bliss!! I was finally able to just relax, and even get a much needed nap in. They decided to take me off the oxytocin, to make sure I was labouring by myself and that it wasn't doing all the work. Now contractions were coming fast and furious ... I didn't know as I was enjoying my epidural! I was having 6 contractions in 10 min!

Then around 5 PM I started feeling "pressure"!! Uh oh!!! I could slowly start noticing contractions ... they weren't painful yet. And by 5:45 I could feel them. The nurse checked me again ... and was at a 9!! I knew then, that there was NO way I would be getting an epidural "top off".

The Doc came in 10 min later, checked me and said ... "let's start pushing" !!!!

Exciting? Maybe for my husband. I was terrified, I never had any intention to be having a "natural" labour. Not going to lie ... it was totally painful, but all worth it in the end, I think?!?! After 49 min of pushing, and many tears from me constantly telling everyone in the room that "I just can't do this," our little girl arrived.

And boy was SHE a big surprise!! My husband was 100% convinced she was in fact a HE. He also had Emma convinced, as well as me a bit. But we have another little princess and we are just smitten by her. She is absolutely beautiful and we couldn't be happier.

As you can see we have one incredibly proud big sister!! She is SO cute with little Sophie. She is quite my little helper, and she just loves to hold her.So within just minutes we went from a family of three to a family of four!! We love it!!

4 comments:

Brian and Kayla said...

She is adorable!!! Congrats!

Linds Forrest said...

Congratulations Aly! She is beautiful and you are amazing for having to have an impromptu natural birth. And I'm glad you thought my blog post of "It's a quickie" the other way... that was my intention. ha ha. Hope you are recovering well! Congrats again!! :)

Jenni said...

Awwwe I love hearing birth stories. You are so funny too, calling the anestheseologist your "hero". Love it. So glad you got your VBAC too! Congrats on that! I tried for a VBAC but failed, but didn't matter - baby got here either way :) Glad all went well. She's beautiful. Congrats you guys!

chrissy said...

Congrats!!! She's beautiful :)