Wednesday, February 10, 2010

OK, so maybe TWICE in a lifetime?

Yay for the Olympics!! We have yet to go downtown and partake in the festivities...and we plan on doing that a couple of times!! What an opportunity, to be living in the host city again for the Winter Games!! The atmopshere and energy is SO positive!! It really is so exciting!!

The Olympic torch came through Surrey on Monday Feb 8th, and it just so happened to come by just a block away from us. Unfortunately Wika had to work, but Emma and I made sure we were there. It was scheduled to come by around 2:55 pm...so I woke Emma up early from her nap and we headed up! It was amazing to see the street lined with people of all ages dressed in RED and White (Canada has always had such GREAT colors...don't you think??)

They had a lot of "sponsor" trucks come by handing out flags and coke and they were playing music!! Emma LOVED it!! She was mesmerized by everything going on!! She would wave her flag with pride while dancing...it was super cute!!

Here are a few pictures...I of course will put up more when we head downtown to Olympic Village!!

Emma waving her flag so fast I couldn't really get a good picture

There is the Beautiful Torch!


Then later that night they had a celebration at Holland Park...it was the end of the torch relay for that day...so we picked Wika up from work and headed down there for FHE. Boy was that insane...total MAYHEM!! Barely could even get around. So we waited in line to get some free COKE (even though we don't like Coke-but they were special Olympic bottles, so why not) then we waited in line to hold the torch and get a picture!! YAY for us!! Then at 7 we "watched" the actual torch come in for the night...all we got was the flame!! That was pretty much it for the night, it was cold and way too crowded.

that right there...is the Olympic Flame!

The walk back to the car, she was just so excited to be down and walking around-since she did just spend an hour on daddy's shoulder's with NO opportunity of getting down.

And just remember...I will always be an AMERICAN but this Canadian spirit is AWESOME!! SO with that...GO USA and GO CANADA!!

*Canada got their FIRST gold medal on home soil yesterday...pretty AWESOME!

Alexandre Bilodeau

it's a great feeling to be here while history is in the making!!
More to come when we go downtown...

4 comments:

Brooke said...

Wow! That is great you get to be apart of it twice. Have fun for the rest of us.

Melanie Fiuza said...

Your hair is soooo long! That is awesome the torch came so close to you. Red and white are some awesome colors for football! I haven't gotten anything productive done since the olympics started I love watching them. Wave to me if you see a camera!

The Patterson's said...

I still remember how much fun it was to go down to Salt Lake together when the Olympics were there. What a great experience for you to get to enjoy them twice.

Linds Forrest said...

How awesome you got to see the torch! And your hair is beautiful!! So long and I love the color.